Whether you are considering trying anal sex for the first time or are a total expert, we applaud you on being adventurous and open to trying new things! However, before you dive in, there are a few things you should know to make the experience safe and enjoyable for you and your partner. Here's an ultimate guide to help you have the best anal sex experience.
5 Safety Tips for Men and Women New to Having Anal Sex
- If it’s not a “hell yes”, then it’s a no. Like everything in life, especially sex, if the idea of anal sex doesn’t doesn’t bring out an enthusiastic yes, then you probably shouldn’t do it.
- Don't feel pressured - Remember, you're in control. Don't feel pressured to do anything you're not comfortable with, and don't be afraid to speak up.
- Talk it out - Communication is key! Make sure you and your partner have an open and honest conversation about what you both want and expect from the experience. Don't be shy, speak up!
- Always use a condom. The interior of the anus is an area that can easily become infected if there are any small fissures or wounds. A condom will help prevent any diseases, such as HIV and HPV, and will allow you to enjoy the experience while staying safe.
- Lube it up! The anus isn’t self lubricating like the vagina, so make sure to use plenty of lube to avoid any discomfort or pain. Seriously, you can never have too much lube.
5 Things to Prepare for Anal Sex for Men and Women
- Douche it up. Although getting yourself ready for anal sex can be as simple as some soap and water, some people prefer that extra squeaky clean feeling. Anal douching can help clean the anus before the experience. Cleanse that booty!
- Keep it clean. While you probably won’t have to worry about pooping on your partner, all parties need to be aware that there might be exposure to visible or invisible fecal matter. Make sure you're clean before and after the experience to avoid any infections. Cleanliness is next to godliness.
- Work up to penetration slowly. Before trying penetration, use small toys or fingers to gradually stretch the anus. Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither should your anal experience.
- Keep your nails short - Long nails can cause discomfort or even scratching during anal play. Make sure your nails are trimmed and clean before getting down to business.
- Don't switch it up - Avoid switching from anal to vaginal sex without cleaning up first to avoid any infections. Trust us; this is not the time to mix things up.
5 Anal Sex Techniques for Beginners
- Position yourself for success. Experiment with different positions to find the one that works best for you and your partner. There's no one-size-fits-all when it comes to anal.
- Pillow power - Placing pillows under your hips can help elevate your pelvis and make penetration
- Listen to your body. If something doesn't feel right, stop and reassess before continuing. Your body will always let you know what's up.
- Skip the numbing cream. Numbing creams can mask pain, which can lead to injury. Don't numb your way through it; feel everything!
- Relax and breathe. The more relaxed you are, the easier and more pleasurable the experience will be. Take deep breaths to help you relax and reduce any discomfort.
5 Tips When Using a Sex Toy for Anal Sex for Men and Women
- Make friends with toys. Anal toys can enhance the experience and help you get comfortable with penetration. Don't be shy to bring them into the mix!
- Consider the size of the toy. Sometimes bigger isn’t always better, especially when you are using the toy as a stepping stone for something bigger like a strap on or a penis. Start small and slow, and work your way up to bigger toys!
- Vibrate your way to happiness. A vibrator can stimulate the anus and make the experience more pleasurable. A mini vibrator can be used to explore the perineum and the outside of the anus to start you off and get you used to pleasure in the region. However, do not use a mini vibrator internally unless it has a flared base, as it could get stuck and your fun and sexy rendezvous could land you in the emergency room. If you are looking for a vibrator for internal stimulation, go for a dual bendable vibrator. The bend in the vibrator will allow you to insert it into the anus without having the fear that it may get lost.
- Experiment with butt plugs. A butt plug can help prepare you for penetration and make the experience more comfortable. They come in all shapes and sizes, and you can use it to get primed for bigger things, or wear it during the day to get you in the mood. Who knew a plug could be so helpful?
- Strap-on fun - A strap-on can be a fun way to experiment with anal sex. Let your inner dominatrix come out to play.
The Double Entendre
Anal sex is not for everyone, and that's okay. But if you're curious, these tips can help you have a pleasurable and safe experience. Remember, communication, lubrication, relaxation, experimentation, and protection are all crucial aspects of anal sex. Happy exploring!